How-to draw: CHIBI Character Step by Step
How to Draw a Chibi Character
Chibi is a Japanese word used to describe a character with a small body, and they’re popular characters in some mangas and animes. With some practice, you can draw your own Chibi characters based on real people or characters from TV shows and movies!
Basic Chibi Character
Sketch the head.First draw a big circle and an angle slightly curved for the jaw line. Indicate the centre of the face by drawing two intersecting curved lines.
Sketch the body.In drawing chibi characters, we make the body smaller in proportion compared to the head.
Draw the face details.You can draw a normal anime eyes but make it larger. In drawing the nose and the mouth, you can use a short stroke and a curved line.
Draw the hair.Make it simple, don’t add extra details like thin strands of hair. You can add other details like hairpins, bows or ribbons to make it more stylish.
Follow the outline and draw the jawline and the neck.
Draw the dress.Make the dress simple and don’t add a lot of crease lines.
Draw the hands and the legs.You can draw the fingers by adding simple curved angles and lines. In anime short skirts are usually paired with long striped socks, you can use it in your drawing.
Erase unnecessary lines.
Color your drawing as desired.
Chibi Based on Anime Character
Search for a picture of an anime character that you’d like to make a chibi.In this example, we use Naruto as a reference.
Draw the body outline.Copy the pose of your character but make the head larger in proportion to the body. You don’t have to add the hand details yet, you can just draw simple curve for the hand and feet.
Draw the details on the face.Copy the style of the eyes but make it larger. Make sure to add the details on the face, in this case Naruto’s 3 curved lines located on each side of his cheeks.
Copy the hair and other details like his headband.
Draw the ears and the jawline using the outline drawn earlier.
Draw the body.Simplify the dress by removing a few details like crease lines, but make sure it’s still recognizable as the character you’re basing it from.
Erase your outlines and darken your drawing.
Colour your drawing.
QuestionHow do you make the chibi look like an adult and a child?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMake the adult more refined and taller and make the child shorter, simple, casual and innocent. These will work well unless it's an assassin family, in which case make them look a little wicked and cheeky.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I draw short sides and long fringe on hair for a male?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMale hair is often swept to one side in anime. Also, keep in mind that hair flows like water - Give it a point to flow from!Thanks!
QuestionHow can I make a chibi in my own style if it is the first time I am drawing a full body?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYour style is something you develop over time, not immediately. If you're a beginner, you should look up tutorials on Youtube or Deviantart. Once you start understanding how to draw a chibi, you can begin to develop your own unique style.Thanks!
QuestionHow can do I do make up?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAdd the makeup in during the coloring of the face, and use a low opacity if that is an option. Don't do it during the lineart or else it will make the face overcluttered and makeup doesn't really need an outline. If you need to, you can outline it with a slightly darker version of the makeup color.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I draw cat ears for my drawing?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry adding them in while doing the hair, and making them slightly curved for dimension. You can also draw a few loose strands of "fur" around the base of the ears!Thanks!
QuestionHow can I make a chibi look three dimensional?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUse various shading techniques to give the illusion that your chibi is three dimensional.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if I really stink at drawing feet and hands?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can draw stubs for hands and/or feet.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I make chibi characters another style?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerOnce you have the basics down, you can start experimenting with your own. However, you should master the basics first. Your own style will develop naturally over time.Thanks!
QuestionWhich mobile apps can I use to draw chibi characters?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can get free apps such as Autodesk SketchBook and Adobe Sketch or buy Procreate for .99.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I know where to draw the eyebrows if my chibi is wearing a headband?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDraw the face without the headband, then draw on the headband and rub out parts of the eyebrow that are covered by the headband.Thanks!
I'm not good at drawing. What do I do?
How do I draw chibi hair?
How do I draw a male chibi but the person it's based off is a real person?
To draw your own Chibi character, start by lightly sketching the shape of the head, and then outlining the smaller body. After you have the basic outline, you can add facial details like eyes, a mouth, and a nose, as well as simple hair with accessories. Then, connect the head to the body outline by adding the neckline before starting on your character’s clothes. Once the clothing is drawn, add hands, legs, and feet before erasing any unnecessary lines and finishing your character with color!
- Practice drawing the eyes and different expressions, think of as many as you can and just draw the different faces, if you don’t want to draw the whole head then just draw the eyes, nose dashes and mouth
- It is always good to keep the faces of the chibis simple and cute!
- Keep looking for different examples of chibis. look at how the different eyes and clothing are drawn.
- Try places like gaiaonline for great little chibi/manga characters to practice drawing, lots of players will pay [in in-game money] for chibi art, go to www.gaiaonline.com to sign up then check out the forums for people looking for art, it’s a good place to practice drawing.
- Try drawing huge eyes and a small nose!
- Try to keep the head bigger than the body, as it makes it look cute, more chibi, and less anime/manga.
- Try keep your lines thin when you draw! You may need to erase things, and it isn't as easy to erase hard lines than thin, light ones.
- Draw the chibi in pencil, so that you can rub out mistakes, then go over you original pencil lines with a black fineliner so that they really stand out! Also, felt tips/markers usually work better than pencils when colouring in by hand as they don't leave as many streaky lines.
- Use sharpened pencils to get fine lines and to keep everything consistent.
- Keep your hands clean so you don’t smudge pencil lines, you can even wear a latex glove if you need to.
- If you want to add a light blush to the cheeks, use a pigment, like a pink eyeshadow or blush works well. Just get a bit of the pigment on a sponge eyeshadow applicator or a small brush, and lightly dab it on the cheeks.
- Never be discouraged by doing something wrong, just keep trying until you get it right, especially for CG it can take many months until you can control the graphics programme properly and make your chibis look lifelike and 3D.
Things You'll Need
Pencils and erasers
For CG - a drawing program on your computer, like paint, paint.NET, manga studio, Photoshop, photostudio 5.5 and adobe. If you need a free program, try GIMP. (Try using a bamboo tablet. When you connect it to your Desktop/Laptop draw on it and the drawing will appear on your computer screen then when you are done you can edit it) OR You can draw on a piece of paper then scan it to your computer then edit it.
For traditional - Colored pencils or markers to color in the chibi when you are done.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Português: , Русский: , Deutsch: , Français: , Italiano: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , ไทย: , العربية: , 日本語:
Video: How to Draw A Chibi
How the Bond Girls Got a Modern Reboot for Spectre’
10 Things No One Ever Tells You About: CurlyHair
3 Easy Exercises You Can Do on an Exercise Ball
Get Over Your Fear of Wearing Red Lipstick
Tamera Mowry-Housley Shares That Her Niece Was Killed in the Thousand Oaks Mass Shooting
How to Make a Good Impression on Girls
Lady Gaga Delivers Pizza, Coffee, and Gift Cards to a California Wildfire Evacuation Shelter
TBT Alert: 90s TV Legends Kenan Kel Have Reunited
5 for 5: Five Casual Cool Looks, Styled YourWay
Jennifer Hudson Medium Wave Curly Hairstyle for Thin Hair
How to Price Crafts for Sale
Why It Takes a Team to Manage Type 2 Diabetes
3 Ways To Keep Your Vision Sharp